Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Kentucky Lakes to Paris Landing TN

Hey Ya'all!
Vicking fans are smiling, Green Bay fans know that their team played a good game! We left Kentucky Dam Marina yesterday morning with a bit of "smoke" floating over the water, knowing it was not going to clear but hoped that the storm would blow over us.  Not the case as the skies darkened, the wind picked up and our bow bounced through oncoming white caps, Buddy went under my desk and scowled at me when I checked on him.  Capt took a break just when we decided it would be a good idea to put the fog horn on as we had a real straight stretch of bouy line to follow, easy to see on the radar and charts, so it was fun for me to be at the helm as the lighting strikes kept getting closer, some beautiful flashes as long as they kept their distance!  Natures powerful forces sure give us a wake up call occassionally.  A fun ride nonetheless.

As we were just leaving the marina we heard a distress call from a boat that we had shared the dock with at Hoppies Marina in Kimmswick MO., their boat is called Superior Sunrise and it is/was? a tri-hull, old sail boat with the mast down.  A tarp was duct taped on the side to cover one broken window, appeared to be a bit of a mess. As we had left Hoppies we said his engine did not sound good....  an hour later we heard him on the radio returning to Hoppies with engine trouble.  Now here the poor guy is (with 1st mate, a woman, who was dressed in black tights and a black dress no less...rather unique boatin attire!) is adrift near Paducah KY with no power.  We have not heard anymore about it, but guess he didn't get it fixed before he left Hoppies the second time!  Oh, yes...this is the same guy who grabbed our stern line as we came into Hoppies and did not/would not follow my instructions on where to place it.  I said to him "OK, put it where you want, I'll do it right later" as at Hoppies we fight a strong current coming in plus we had wind as well, you have to really move fast and do it right the first time.

I survived 60 hours (but who is counting) onboard without stepping my feet on soil.  I really am not a good captive.  If I can't get off and run, or get a good walk with the Capt, THEN have alone time either on a good run or long periods of time on my computer I really turn into "Linda Besk." I love this life, but boy do I realize how badly I need to get off the boat every other day.  Guess the ocean crossings are not in our future. I would be bound and gagged below in the engine room after 4 days at sea.

We have pretty good division of labor, as we leave a dock or anchorage in the morning Bob unties the lines from the dock, I bring in fenders and coil lines as we are underway, when coming in to a marina I set fenders appropriately and get lines ready.  For meals I typically hand the Capt his banana and granola bar for breakfast, fix lunch, and we take turns with dinner.  Last night was Kotlety night, a Polish treat that is Bob's favorite comfort food, it does dirty every pan in the galley but they are wonderful for the tummy and the soul.  Kotletys are Polish puffy hamburgers, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, and of course "kapusta"....steamed cabbage!
Guess I will see if I can get a run in before we leave....
Life is Swell on Veda L!