Tuesday, October 20, 2009

DOG RIVER TO DESTIN

Oct. 20, 2009

Dog River to Pensacola

What's wrong with .25 cent oysters and $2.25 cent martini's?


 

Early departure from Dog River and a little choppy ride, but got into Pensacola at around 3:00, we were met at the dock by Drew, the young man who took the bird I save 2 years ago home with him and saw that it was taken to a wildlife refuge and later released back into her natural habitat. I named the little Blue Heron Pensacola Penny, and wonder if perhaps the huge Heron the dock could be her?


 

Janet and I took a walk through the Pensacola Historic District which is comprised of mostly historic homes for tour, just a few are owner occupied. Christ Church from 1832 is a treasure, and one of the oldest churches in FL. Of course the area was closed on Monday so we had to window peek only! On our way back to the boat we found a bar that posted "½ price drinks for ladies, anyday..anytime!" All right, we found our nirvana in Pensacola. We ordered "call drinks" and when the bill came it was $5.75 for a dirty goose martini (me) and a cosmopolitan for Janet.


 

We stopped at a haberdashery to buy Capt Bob a new belt and ended up buying him almost a new wardrobe, beautiful things for my Capt! We met Bob at Atlas Oyster, a restaurant on the water, they had a sign posted "Monday-Oysters .25 cents" Needless to say, we all started our dinner off with a dozen Appalachicola Oysters, not as briny as 2 years ago, but due to the amount of rain we have experienced I assume it keeps some of the salt out of the shells. We all had different versions of Gulf Shrimp and shared, a great meal including fried green tomatoes!


 

We are still seeing THE singular Monarch butterfly almost every day since Lock 20, I saw "her" today fly across our bow as we are approaching Destin, FL. Yesterday she showed herself in the Historic neighborhood and I took several photos of her. The first time she showed up was in the photo that Jon, lockmaster from Lock 20 in Canton, Mo took of us as we came through his lock. We watch for her everyday and feel as if she is a good omen for our journey, we refer to her as Veda L, stopping by to keep an eye on us!


 

Speaking of serendipity experiences, we are approaching Destin Florida where I had a incredible experience in a children's playhouse (no comments dear friends of mine) in a nature preserve next to our marina, this was the Nov my Mother passed away, and I always told her to give me a sign telling me that she was OK after her death. When sorting through her belongings we found a scrap of paper with John 3:16 written on it. I had Dylan "google" it the day we were composing her funeral service, to see what passage was important enough to Mother to make her write it down. This is a meaningful scripture to me as it confirms everlasting life, which is what I had often asked my Mother to communicate to me. I had the minister incorporate the verse into the services in Madison and again in Chicago. Anyway, back to the playhouse in the nature preserve; as I entered it and looked around I yelled "Bob, come here!" He bent over and entered the small space and together we looked in awe, as written out in full was the entire passage "for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, so whosoever beliveth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." I will be anxious to go back to that little playhouse and see if there is any sign of the scripture having been there 2 years ago.

LIFE IS SWELL ON VEDA L