Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Eleuthera to Compass/Staniel Cay...now back to Eleuthera!

 Today it was blowing out, but Bob wanted to check out some reefs that we were told about, also an area to find conch.  I can only say that there would have been a line a half mile long if they had that ride at Disney World;  a wild ride for sure, but Bob loves to bounce, bob and weave his way through surf, white caps, etc.  Me?  Well, I have all the faith in my Capt!  I would have taken a photo of the 3' waves with the tops blowing off as we went over them, but I wouldn't let go of the boat :)
Love ya Honey Bob!  He finally said "this is getting a little rough, maybe we should go in.."do ya think?"
Yesterday we found this rather deep reef a ways out, Bob saw a 3' Nassau Grouper that he pictured on his dinner plate.  He was using his Hawaiian sling spear, as he shot Mr. Grouper either the fish turned or Bob moved as the spear bounced off the Groupers head!  Bob said "I gave him a headache, now we will have to come back another day to relieve him of it"  Yummmm   I hope he is territorial...as we know where he lives!  I was diving down to see what Bob was after, when I saw him start for the surface and snapped this photo, one of my favorites so far this year!
 These are the quaint seaside villa's at Staniel Cay, the Watermaker Airline comes in here so we call this our "airport run" they have two grocery stores there, The Blue Grocery and The Pink Grocery; they are owned by Brothers and their families. 
 In the harbor where we tie up our tender in front of Staniel Yacht Club they always have sharks and sting rays swimming by, this shark who (thought he was perhaps a dog?) was rolling on his back to scratch his back.  I saw him do it twice,  aaaaah...that feels good!
 On the way back to Compass Cay you must always stop at Big Majors Cay where the locals keep pigs, due to the cruisers that came into this very safe cove, and fed the pigs their leftovers, they started swimming out to the boats for "vittles"  One tried to climb into our boat last year and Bob gave it a great B_ _ _h slap across it's snout.  We still laugh about it.  The locals have a pig roast once a year and say "thanks cruisers for fattening up our little piggies!"
 On the way back to Tuckers Compass Cay I saw a large orange spot on the sea floor and said "turn around Bob; I think I just saw a giant starfish!"  I did, I dove for it, and we took photographs then put it back in it's home at the bottom of the sea.  This is a large Cushion Starfish being held by Daughter Dylan.
 Rachels Bubble bath, one of the most picturesque places on earth I am sure, you find urchins, sea eggs, juvenile fish and lots of bubbles here!  Located on the north end of Compass Cay.
 Forget about Red Right Return for awhile.... just stay Left!  We called this sign "Driving for Dummies" but we didn't argue.  Driving on the left wasn't as hard to get used to as the steering wheel on the right side of the car.  I sat in "passenger seat" on left when Bob took his turn at the wheel, and whenever we would stop to at our destination I would put the car in park for him.  He grimaced a lot :) Even called me a control freak.  The first half hour was like being in church...
a lot of "O God & Jesus!" comments going on.
 Out cruising the coast for reefs I shot this exposed sandbar offshore with the storm cloud hovering overhead, love the contrasts!  There are so many places that are shallow, secluded spots that would be wonderful to teach those Grandkids how to swim/snorkel, next year I hope to have a herd of them here!
 Tarpum Bay Church by the Sea, how beautiful is this?  
 Bob and I talk to everyone; and while conversing with this gentleman (Oswald Ingraham) we found that he was speaker for Parliament for 11years, owns the hardware store where we bought Dominoes as that seems to be the game of choice here and we want to learn it; Bob is way ahead of me by the way..... (I know you all find that hard to believe).  On the way to the car we bought some fresh veggies from a vendor and ended up getting an incredible steamed fish recipe from him.  Bob made it and we bought thought it was every bit as good as any we have enjoyed at Bahamian restaurants.  
Posted by Picasa